Sunday, February 24, 2013

Welcome to The Scrub Cottage

Welcome to my little blog about my little home in the scrub.  I want to share some of the beautiful things I see and experience daily, discoveries I make, wonderful ideas I hear about and use, and the blessings from God that are all around me.

A little about myself to begin.  I am a stay at home mother of two-almost-three children.  My daughter has just turned 5 and has begun the school journey.  My son has just turned 3 and is here with me at home.  And baby is due in the middle of August.

My darling husband and I have been married for 5 and a half years.  He works full time in the city and is also studying one evening a week.

We own a pop top camper and love to get away for a weekend every few months.  Our favourite spot at the moment would have to be Moonta Bay Caravan Park.  My grandparents would take my Dad and his brother and sisters to Moonta as a family.  My Dad took me a few times when I was younger and I now have the opportunity to enjoy it with my own children.  My Dad will often join us for the weekend and one trip turned out to include all four generations!

Sunset at Moonta Bay

Hubby and I love to potter around in our garden.  I've laid claim to the front garden and he looks after the back garden.  Our back garden consists of a lawned area and a newly planted fruit orchard.  We've planted a Granny Smith and a Sundowner apple, a lemon, a peach, an apricot, a valencia and a naval orange.  We also have a large brick shed with is hubby's man cave.  He has his shed things (random screws and nails in jars, strange power tools and the bits and pieces that might be needed one day...), his gym equipment, home brew equipment and quite a bit of storage items that have overflowed from our house and are yet to be dealt with.

Water Tanks, fruit trees and chicken coup

The front garden is my domain and is a vegie garden (yes...in the front garden!).  I love planting from seeds because of the small financial outlay.  But the best part is when you survey what is growing and you remember it started as a tiny seed.  I find myself constantly in awe of nature and of God who created it.  Being in Australia, we are coming to the end of the summer months which means it's almost time to start planting autumn and winter vegetables.  Currently I've got tomatoes going crazy, capsicums that seem to be too big for the plant, green and purple beans, cucumbers, zucchini, chillis and some pumpkins vines that are yet to fruit.

An rusted old water tank left out the back has become free garden beds.

Vegie Patch...complete with hubby's tractor.

I love to find inspiration from simpler times for my life now.  We downsized our home just over 2 years ago and it was the best decision we ever made.  While we are still decorating and settling in, we have time to spend developing a garden, playing with our children and heading away on holidays.  Due to the size difference, we also been able to make this home as sustainable as possible.  Water tanks (which are being filled with the precious resource as I write this), solar panels and a wood heater.  We have been blessed with resources at the right time to enable us to do this, however I have also been blessed with a husband who preferred to spend his leave entitlement payout on solar panels than on buying new clothes or furniture.

I am a creative person and I love to sew, knit, crochet and scrapbook (though little time allows for this last one!).  The feeling I get when I complete a project for a gift or myself is one of thanksgiving for the skills I've been blessed with to allow me to bless others.

I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse into my life in The Scrub Cottage.  I hope you will return again to share in my discoveries and blessings of life.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete